Living Perfect Health
Hundreds of studies over the past decade have found that the level of stress or comfort we feel in our lives influences our immune cells. When we are experiencing a lot of emotional turbulence, our immune cells receive confusing messages from our brain. It’s as if our immune cells are constantly eavesdropping on our internal dialogue. When our mind is calm and peaceful, our immune cells behave more effectively than when we are in a distressed state of mind.
While a healthy immune system responds appropriately to challenges, an unhealthy immune system may respond too aggressively or not aggressively enough, resulting in allergies, asthma, autoimmune diseases, or cancer. Even diseases that were not previously considered to be immunologically mediated, such as coronary artery disease and Alzheimer’s disease, are turning out to be strongly influenced by immunity. The bottom line is that immunity is the essence of a healthy, balanced life.
Seven Ways to Nurture Your Immune System
1. Manage your stress. Learn and practice a meditation or relaxation technique on a daily basis.
2. Eat well. Favor fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Limit your intake of red meat, processed foods, and refined carbohydrates.
3. Get to bed no later than 10:30 p.m. Awaken with the sun. Learn more about a healthy sleep routine here.
4. Exercise. Integrate flexibility, strength building, and cardiovascular activities into your daily routine.
5. Laugh. Studies have shown that one good belly laugh improves immune function for 24 hours.
6. Get touched. Massage awakens immune function and feels good. Read about the Chopra Center Spa here.
7. Look at things that inspire you. Limit your exposure to violent television programs and movies. A Harvard study showed that watching violent scenes weakens immunity, whereas watching loving images stimulates the immune system.
About Us | Programs | Deepak Central | Community | Shop | Teacher's Path