Deepak Chopra’s bestselling classic, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success is a guide to the universal laws that govern every creative process – from the birth of a baby to the development of a new business. In the spirit of gratitude and thanksgiving, this month Agni is highlighting the Law of Giving and Receiving:
The universe operates through constant and dynamic exchange . . . giving and receiving are different aspects of the same flow of energy. In the universe. In our willingness to give that which we seek, we keep the abundance of the universe circulating in our lives.
Practicing the Law of Giving and Receiving is simple: if you want joy, give joy to others; if you want love, learn to give love; if you want attention and appreciation, learn to give attention and appreciation; if you want wealth, help others become affluent.
The basic idea behind the Law of Giving and Receiving is to consciously participate in the dynamic flow of abundance that is the nature of life itself. We do this by finding opportunities to give to others with a full heart.
1. Give daily Giving needn’t be reserved for birthdays and other special occasions. We have countless opportunities every day to give. Whenever you meet someone in your daily travels, offer a gift. This may be a compliment, a flower, a prayer, or a genuine smile. The best gift you can give is to leave someone feeling a little lighter than they felt did before your interaction. Silently wish everyone you encounter happiness.
2. Give freely When we give from the limitless joy and abundance of our heart, we increase the circulation of abundance and love in our lives. If we feel diminished when we give or we give grudgingly, then the gift is not truly given. Anything that is of value in life only multiplies when it is given. The monetary value of the gift doesn’t matter; the intention behind your giving and receiving is the most important thing.
3. Receive gratefully Every act of receiving is an act of giving. When you happily accept a gift, you give pleasure to the giver. Think about giving something to someone you love. Imagine the happiness and opening that unfold as a result of your gift. Now imagine that your friend or loved one refused your offering. You would most likely feel disappointed, sad, and empty. Therefore, gratefully receive all the gifts life has to offer, including nature, sunlight, food, and friends. Be open to receiving gifts from others, whether in the form of material
4. Replenish Your Well The Law of Giving and Receiving presupposes that we have something to give. Giving is based upon being, for we can only give of what we have . . . what we are. Spiritually speaking, this means we must go within to tap our infinite reservoir of inner intelligence, power, and joy.
Let all your activities be aimed at bringing you into alignment with your essential being. Give yourself the gifts of daily meditation; restful sleep; a healthy, balanced diet; regular exercise; loving relationships; laughter; and play. Celebrate the body that allows your soul to express its meaning and purpose in life.
5. Give generously of your spirit Life’s most precious gifts are the intangible ones . . . caring, attention appreciation, and love. Personal guidance, mentoring, and encouragement can transform someone’s life. There are many excellent organizations where you can offer your time and talents. For example, each year the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals rescues thousands of dogs, cats, and other animals that deserve kind treatment and dignity as fellow sentient beings.